Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Here you'll find recipes, healthy food ideas and photos from Chichay, a "green" housewife who loves baking and cooking healthy versions of delicious dishes for her husband, and who also enjoys trying new food from all over the world!
Please send your comments and/or suggestions to:
chichay@chichayskitchen.com or follow us on facebook!

Friday, February 8, 2008

"PORK TENDERLOIN TERIYAKI"


My husband and I enjoy going to Teriyaki Hut restaurant. For us, they have the best-tasting Beef Curry on rice, and of course the best teriyaki dishes on their menu list! Yum! Their teriyaki sauce doesn't give me headache. I can say I am scared sometimes to order Teriyaki toppings from other restaurants, because even if the dishes taste good, I wonder how much salt and MSG they put in there, or what else they use for flavoring.
I then decided to try and make my own teriyaki sauce, and to be safe I used Pork Tenderloin. Didn't want to risk having my first teriyaki dish with tough meat. You'll notice I used low-sodium soy sauce. It doesn't hurt to try and use this alternative to the regular one. It tastes the same anyway.
Also, the usual recipes of teriyaki you will find around require dry sherry, but really, you can use any white wine.
[CHICHAY TIP: Easy on the ginger. It has a very strong flavor, thus it tends to overpower the sauce, so do not add anything more than what's in my recipe.]
Ok my dish was a success, and my husband loved it! I am telling you, I even saved the rest of the sauce and used it for my grilled chicken for dinner. Still gooooooood!
-CHICHAY

-----------------------------------------------

"PORK TENDERLOIN TERIYAKI"

  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or 1 pack of splenda)

  • 1 tablespoon dry sherry (or any white wine)

  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar

  • 1 garlic clove, minced

  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger

  • Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)

  • 1 pound pork tenderloin
How To:

Combine the soy sauce, oil, sugar, sherry, vinegar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes, and stir until the sugar dissolves.

Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and add the pork tenderloin.

Seal the bag and marinate the pork in the refrigerator, turning once, for a minimum of half hour, or marinate overnight.

Option 1 for the meat: Preheat the broiler. Place the pork on a roasting pan and broil for 15 minutes, turning once. Once cooked, transfer to a dish, cover with foil, and set aside.

Option 2 for the meat: preheat some oil on a grill pan over high heat, and cook the pork tenderloin on all sides, until golden brown. Again, once cooked,transfer to a dish, tent with foil and set aside.

Use a saucepan, and heat up the marinade used for the meat with 1 tbsp. cornstarch (dissolved in 1/2 cup of hot water).

Mix constantly, while simmering for about 5 minutes.

Cut up the meat into 1 inch medallions and combine with the sauce in the pot, and cover for another 3 minutes.

Serve with rice, and a side of steamed veggies, or buttered corn and carrots.

1 comment:

criscoboi said...

Chris and I have been searching for a Teriyaki sauce recipe...thanks for this! And thanks for the daily posts! I check it everyday and it all looks so yummy... ;)