Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Here you'll find recipes, healthy food ideas and photos from Chichay, a "green" housewife who loves baking and cooking healthy versions of delicious dishes for her husband, and who also enjoys trying new food from all over the world!
Please send your comments and/or suggestions to:
chichay@chichayskitchen.com or follow us on facebook!

Sunday, January 27, 2008

"Guisadong Ampalaya At Hipon" on a windy day.


Hi! It's Chichay here, trying to write something that makes sense, despite feeling wary about the heavy winds we have today.

(Whew! This storm reminds me a lot of my younger years in the Philippines...the usual scenario would be me staying in my room at the 2nd floor of our house, and staring by the window, looking at the flooded streets outside, while munching on whatever my mommy and grandma would provide me with, umm...say bread, crackers, and peanuts - anything that would keep me from whining about the nasty weather. )

Alright since cooking makes me feel better here, let me share with you what I am making today.
I found out that my mother-in-law shares my liking for Ampalaya (bittergourd, bittermelon?), so am trying this Guisadong Ampalaya at Hipon (Sauteed Bittermelon with Shrimps).

I read several recipes online, and based on the ingredients I have in my pantry, this is what I came up with.

BTW, my husband said he will only pick the shimps, and won't eat the ampalaya...thus I have to cook another dish for him! :-)
- Chichay
------------------------------------
"Guisadong Ampalaya At Hipon"

Ingredients:
  • one large ampalaya, cleaned and sliced

  • 1 cup peeled shrimp

  • ½ of a medium onion, minced

  • 5 minced garlic cloves

  • a bit of Kikkoman soy sauce

  • 2 eggs, beaten

  • salt and pepper

Prep:
Soak the sliced ampalaya in cold water with salt for an hour. Drain the ampalaya and squeeze out the excess salty water. Wash with cold water and repeat the process of draining 2x to remove the bitter taste. (I like it really bitter so I just drain once)


How To:

-Put a pan on high heat

-add perhaps 2 tablespoons of olive oil


-then place the onion, then garlic


-when the onion and garlic are softer (say 1-2 minutes) add the ampalaya, the soy sauce and stir


-add the shrimps and toss until the shrimps are bright orange (do not overcook)


-add some salt and pepper


-add two lightly beaten eggs, stir until cooked


-transfer immediately to a serving dish, so the egg and shrimp will not get overcooked.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarap naman pareho ang putahe mo.
(some tips) when cooking amplaya, After garlic,
onions,tomatoes salt pepper, add shrimp, little bit
water then add ampalaya .HUWAG mo na hahaluin, simmer mo kunti,then put egg, then saka mo ilagay sa ibabaw yung ampalaya. Off mo na stove. Pero talaga naman mapait ampalaya eh. masarap kasi iyon na malutong pa.
Mag post ka pa ng marami mo recipe.