Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Here you'll find recipes, healthy food ideas and photos from Chichay, a "green" housewife who loves baking and cooking healthy versions of delicious dishes for her husband, and who also enjoys trying new food from all over the world!
Please send your comments and/or suggestions to:
chichay@chichayskitchen.com or follow us on facebook!

Saturday, March 1, 2008

"SPAGHETTI WITH MEAT SAUCE" and "HOMEMADE MARINARA:"


One sauce that I cook often and keep in stock as a base for pasta and meat sauces is my "Marinara Sauce".
Personally I can simply have it plain with pasta since I am a big fan of tomatoes. It is convenient to have "Marinara Sauce" anytime, so I can just add it to sauteed shrimps to make a seafood pasta dish, or just add it to any kind of ground meat and other ingredients for my meat sauce!
I love meat sauce, and am so happy that my husband enjoys it as well. I enjoy eating Spaghetti With Meat Sauce, and I can have it EVERYDAY! Unlike me, my husband likes meat sauce as a rice topping.
Yesterday I went to visit my friend and decided to make "Spaghetti With Meat Sauce" for her. I didn't have much time to prepare in the morning, and I didn't have marinara sauce available in my freezer, so I decided to get my 'backup' sauce: the Barilla Marinara Sauce.
I use the Barilla Marinara Sauce as my backup since I know that it tastes good, it does NOT contain MSG, and I will save cooking time because it is ready to use, and I do not have to boil/simmer my sauce longer, as compared to how long I have to boil/simmer my homemade Marinara.
The meat I used for this recipe is ground beef, but you can always use chicken or turkey if you wish.
The recipe I posted here is the 'shortcut' of my "Spaghetti With Meat Sauce", but trust me, you will enjoy it...and you will definitely make it again soon after!

By the way, I also posted here my Marinara Sauce, in case you want to try and stock up on it as well.

-CHICHAY

------------------------------------------------------

"SPAGHETTI WITH MEAT SAUCE"

What You Need:
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce (homemade, or 'Barilla' brand)
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, mashed, peeled
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/2 cup cooked and chopped spicy sausage links
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tbsp dried parsley)
  • 1 tbsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 3 tsp sugar (or 1 1/2 pack splenda)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup red wine (optional, substitute with 1/2 cup water if not using wine)
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus some more for toppings
  • 1 lb spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package directions

How To:

-Heat olive oil in a soup pot.
-Sauteé onions and celery until they become transluscent
-Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute
-Add in the beef, and season with chilli powder, salt and black pepper. Brown until cooked through (about 10 minutes).
-Drain grease (optional).
-Add wine (or water) and tomato sauce, and tomatoes, stir well and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
-Add Barilla sauce, parsley, basil, salt and sugar. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Boil for about 1 minute, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
-Add the 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, and stir constantly while simmering for another 20 minutes.(make sure you stir/scrape the bottom, as the cheese might be sticking to the pot)
-if the consistenscy of the sauce is too thick, add a little bit more water, and continue to simmer for a few more minutes.
-Taste the sauce, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
[CHICHAY TIPS: If you want it saltier add more parmesan cheese instead of adding more salt, and add more plack pepper if you want more spice.If you have 'QUESO' brand of cheese, use that instead of parmesan cheese for cooking this spaghetti. I find that it makes the sauce creamier. This can be found in Filipino stores in blocks, and you have to freeze it to harden it a bit, before you can grate it.]
Serve the meat sauce over cooked spaghetti, top with parmesan cheese and serve with crusty french bread.
-------------------------------------
"HOMEMADE MARINARA"

What You Need:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 x 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped

[CHICHAY TIP: It is easy to chop the canned tomatoes if you cut them
up with scissors while they are still in the can. No mess trick.]

  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 basil leaves, coarsely chopped (or 2 tbsp dried basil soaked in 1 tsp olive oil)
  • Salt and ground black pepper
How To:
-In a large saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat.
-Add the garlic and saute until golden brown, for about a minute.
-Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano and bay leaf. Simmer this uncovered, stirring occassionally until thickened for about 30 to 40 minutes.
-Lower the heat if necessary. Stirring will keep the sauce at the bottom part of the pan from burning.
-Stir in the basil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a couple more minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chichay,
I have been regularly checking up and reading your new recipes. I have just one quick question? Can I substitute ground beef with ground turkey?
I love tomatoes also and I will try your great recipe tonight if I have time!