Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Here you'll find recipes, healthy food ideas and photos from Chichay, a "green" housewife who loves baking and cooking healthy versions of delicious dishes for her husband, and who also enjoys trying new food from all over the world!
Please send your comments and/or suggestions to:
chichay@chichayskitchen.com or follow us on facebook!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"HARICOT VERT (French Green Beans) WITH STEWED TOMATOES"


Of the many varieties of green beans, I like the 'haricot vert' (French green beans). The reason is that they are more tender, crispy and tasty than the other green beans around. The 'haricot vert' are a bit more slender and long than regular green beans, and they are also stringless.
I find it convenient to buy the frozen 'haricot vert', so I buy it in bulk, and blanch it, and store it in the freezer already par-cooked.
I sometimes reheat this and just toss it in salad, or sometimes add it to sauteed veggies or meats, or soups like "sinigang" and "nilaga".
Today, I needed a quick side dish for lunch, so I pulled out from my freezer some of my par-cooked 'haricot vert' and got a can of Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes. I like stocking up on different types of canned tomatoes as I find it convenient and practical to use them as an alternative to fresh tomatoes especially when there are not so nice fresh ones in the store I go to during my market day. The canned tomatoes are picked and packed at the peak of ripeness, fat-free, and the no-salt added variety is a great choice, so why not use it?
This dish is quick and easy, you'll be surprised how tasty it is!

-CHICHAY

------------------------------------

"HARICOT VERT (French Green Beans) WITH STEWED TOMATOES"

What You Need:



  • 1/2 cup Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes ('No Salt Added' variety)

  • 2 cups blanched 'haricot vert" (French Green Beans, or any green beans of your choice)

  • 1 tsp olive oil or sesame oil

  • salt and pepper to taste

How To:
-Sautee the beans in the olive oil over medium heat for one minute and add in the Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes.
-Bring to a simmer and stir, add salt and pepper to taste, cover, and after 2 minutes, turn off heat.
-Serve immediately. Best served with anything baked or fried. Also goes well with steak.

No comments: