Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Here you'll find recipes, healthy food ideas and photos from Chichay, a "green" housewife who loves baking and cooking healthy versions of delicious dishes for her husband, and who also enjoys trying new food from all over the world!
Please send your comments and/or suggestions to:
chichay@chichayskitchen.com or follow us on facebook!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Oatmeal...not again!"







Every morning, I wake up really early, preparing for our meals/snacks for the day.

But I have to get my oatmeal fix (and hot tea) before I can start cooking.

Oatmeal. My husband and I one time agreed that we areboth tired of the usual plain oatmeal and soymilk, so I thought of making an effort to "decorate" our bowl of oatmeal - to give it more texture and a variety of flavor as well.

We do not like the instant flavored oatmeals, as those have lots of sodium - no thanks.

This morning, I thought of adding some craisins (sweetened dried cranberries), honey, bananas and unsweetened strawberry and corn flakes cereals as toppings. My husband added his usual vanilla soy milk and I added a mix of chocolate and vanilla soymilk (yum!).

Some other flavorings/toppings I usually add are: cinnamon powder + raisins, almonds, walnuts, chopped red apples, fresh blueberries, strawberries...

By the way, I make sure the oatmeal I prepare is not runny/soup-y, because we like it thicker, and with a richer texture, so I boil the water, add the oats (and craisins or raisins), cover it, and turn off the stove, so the oats will cook with the steam.

Coincidentally, I got an info update from Realage.com this morning about "How To Elevate Oatmeal To Superfood". The article said drinking orange juice with oatmeal will give better benefits - specifically stabilizing the LDL ( bad cholesterol). It says the combination of the phenols in oatmeal and the Vit C in OJ is a good combination for LDL.
Hmm...my husband can have the OJ with his oatmeal...not me. My tummy is sensitive to OJ in the morning, so I will just have my usual vit C tablets with my breakfast. ;-)

- Chichay

No comments: