Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Welcome to Chichay's Kitchen!

Here you'll find recipes, healthy food ideas and photos from Chichay, a "green" housewife who loves baking and cooking healthy versions of delicious dishes for her husband, and who also enjoys trying new food from all over the world!
Please send your comments and/or suggestions to:
chichay@chichayskitchen.com or follow us on facebook!

Monday, January 28, 2008

"Mussels and Ginger Soup" (Tahong Soup)


It's really cold today...I thought of making soup then.

Thanks to my friend's mom who made me try her Tahong soup last week, so now I am inspired to cook it for my asawa.

Tahong (mussels) is readily available anytime in the seafood market, either fresh or pre-cooked/frozen. I bought the pre-cooked/frozen ones because I didn't want to do the cleaning of the mussels anymore! ;-) They taste the same, as far as I know.


The greens that we used in the Philippines with tahong was "malunggay leaves", but I am still trying to find somebody who can give me fresh ones. I did not find it in the Filipino store we have nearby.


By the way, the mussels become rubbery when overcooked - so I suggest serve it immediately after simmering for a few minutes.

Sarap. Perfect on a cold, windy day.


- Chichay



Tahong and Ginger Soup


Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 pcs fresh ginger (about 3 inches long), peeled & sliced
  • some patis ( or just use salt )
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 3 lb mussels (fresh, or use pre-cooked ones in a box)
  • 2 cups of greens (spinach, or malunggay if available)
  • 1 small green papaya, cut into cubes
  • 4 cup water
  • ground black pepper


How to:


Heat the oil in a large pot over medium to high.

Add onions, garlic and ginger, and saute until the onion is translucent (do not let the garlic burn).. Add the fish sauce and chopped tomatoes, and saute for about 2 minutes.

Add the papaya and water.

Cover and bring to a boil.

Add the mussels, cover again and simmer for a few minutes

(if you used fresh, wait for about 10 minutes until the mussels shells open)

Add the greens, cover and cook for about 2 more minutes.

Season with pepper.

Serve hot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a great idea!!!! This is exactly what I need. Thanks Chichay. I love you and my family loves you!!!! Thank you talaga. Im always searching for recipes. God Bless you. Keep them coming....!